Kehi Jingu Shrine is the chief guardian shrine of the old Hokuriku-do region, and one of the tourist destinations representing Tsuruga. Although its foundation date is not certain, it is mentioned in the Nara Period chronicles, Nihon Shoki and Kojiki, and it has been familiar to people for more than 1,000 years. The local people friendly call it “Keisan” as a nickname. The shrine was mostly destroyed in air raids during the World War II. The 10.9 meter-tall vermilion-lacquered Otorii, a gateway to a sacred space, was rebuilt in 1645 and which was once designated as a national treasure and is now registered as an Important Cultural Property. It is also one of the three largest wooden Torii gates alongside Nara Prefecture’s Kasuga Taisha Shrine and Hiroshima Prefecture’s Itsukushima Shrine.
Apart from the Otorii, Chomeisui (water of long life) Spring has gained popularity as a sacred place believed to give visitors some special energy, a spiritual force that heals or refreshes in recent years. It is because the fact that one of the Gods enshrined here lived very long after this sacred spring suddenly began flowing in 702, when a Shinto shrine was being built here.
In addition, it is this Tsuruga that Matsuo Basho, the God of Haiku, visited at the end of the trip in the poetic work “Oku no Hosomichi. The statue of Basho stands in the precincts to commemorate his visit.
11-68 Akebono-cho, Tsuruga-shi, Fukui
15 minutes walk from JR Tsuruga station or take a bus.
There are few buses availalbe, Fuku-Tetsu bus, Community bus HAGI and Round bus. Please get off the bus at Kehi Jingu Mae after a 5-minute bus ride.
Here is a time table for the round bus. here
You can also access to the shrine by car. There are a free parking near the shrine.
6:00 – 17:00